I am a Psychotherapist and Counsellor with over 20 years experience working in the areas of women and adolescent mental health and wellbeing. I specialise in Body Image, Trauma, Anxiety, Depression and Self-Worth.
I am a certified Gestalt Psychotherapist, with a BA Psychology, a Grad. Dip. Women’s Studies and Level 1 Sensorimotor Psychotherapy for trauma. I am also a Health At Every Size® (HAES®) practitioner.
I have a strong interest in trauma therapy and use body awareness, mindfulness and, at times, creative therapy in my work. I have dedicated most of my career to supporting women in particular to empower themselves through increased self-awareness and self-acceptance.
Since April 2016, I have been involved in a community healing project in the East Kimberley, called ArtHeal. This is a project initiated by the Miriwoong community, through the Waringarri Aboriginal Arts centre in Kununurra, Western Australia. This project is supported by Miriwoong elders and involves art healing workshops, using a combination of art therapy, somatic therapy, trauma psycho-education and cultural activities. The purpose of the workshops is to address the incredibly high rates of suicide, suicide grief and intergenerational trauma within the indigenous community.
In the past, I have worked in a Women’s Refuge with women and children escaping domestic violence; in a dynamic and creative Youth Centre; as a Senior Drug & Alcohol Counsellor in remote communities; in a specialist position created from the Gordon Inquiry, working with young people and their families; and as a counsellor for women and adolescents. I have also worked on numerous community arts and therapeutic arts projects.
My professional experience and training over the past two decades working with adolescents and women, has included the following areas:
- Body Image
- Anxiety & Stress
- Eating Disorders
- Self Harm
- Support for LGBTQI folks
- Drug and Alcohol concerns
- Self Worth
- Unresolved past issues – particularly family of origin
- Connection to Self and Others
- BA Psychology
- Graduate Diploma Women’s Studies
- Accredited Gestalt Psychotherapist
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy (Level 1)
Memberships & Endorsements
- PACFA Verified Member (Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia)
- Australia Counselling Verified Member
- Verified HAES (Health at Every Size) Practitioner
- NEDC (National Eating Disorders Collaboration) Member
- Recommended therapist for the Gestalt Training Institute WA trainees
- Recommended therapist in the Eating Disorders Resource Directory (Body Esteem Program)
- Presenter at the Rural & Remote Mental Health Conference 2017 – Broome, Western Australia